Sunday 7 October 2012

Some sweet and sticky birthday goodness!

So last week was really a big week of celebrations, not only was it Meko's 1st birthday but it was also my birthday too! After still being on my health kick after my stay at a health retreat six weeks ago I decided it was time to really treat myself.....hey it was my birthday after all! Matt had kindly granted me an open menu on Friday night with my own personal Chef (albeit he is my husband!) to cook me whatever I want! Yippee! I knew straight away, it had to be lasagne and it had to be a sticky date and banana cake! And yes i said cake, not pudding. This was a little variation on the traditional pudding and was one of Matt's specialities. And let me tell you I was one happy little camper after my special birthday meal, the lasagne was to die for and the sticky date was out of this world! In fact we enjoyed it again Saturday and Sunday night too! Now there is one piece left......hmmmmmm, think i might leave that one for Matt though, my birthday fiesta is well and truly done now, time to get back on the oats and salads!!

I thought I woulds share with you the recipe for this sticky delight. If you too have a special occasion to bake for, this one is an absolute necessity!


Sticky Date & Banana Cake with Toffee Sauce
2 1/4 cups dates
1 banana
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
150g chopped unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups self raising flour, sifted

Toffee sauce
150g chopped unsalted butter
1 cup pouring cream
1 1/2 cups brown sugar

Preheat your oven to 160 degrees. Place the dates, water and bicarb soda in a bowl and set aside for 5 mins to fizz. Place the date mixture, butter, banana and sugar in a food processor and mix until well combined. Add the eggs and flour and process until just mixed through. Pour the mix into a lightly greased 20cm round tin lined with baking paper and bake for 60-70 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool for 10 mins before turning out.

To make the sauce, place the butter, cream and sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and continue to stir for 8-10 mins or until it begins to thicken. Serve over the sticky date and banana cake and finish with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts